Young U’s Lose On Penalties | Oxford United Football Club

Oxford United U19s were knocked out of the EFL Youth Alliance Cup on penalties by Exeter City after a 2-2 draw.

Jack Lee and Josh Holton gave the U’s a 2-0 lead at the break, but goals from Theo Cutler and Tom Dean meant it went straight to penalties at full time.

The U’s started well, with Louis Griffiths having two good chances within the first ten minutes. The first, supplied by Kasway Burton and saved well by the feet of Dylan Shanahan, the second converted but only after the flag had gone up for offside.

Exeter did pose threats though and Rashane Maxwell had to clear the ball off the line after a dangerous driven cross from the Grecians in the 10th minute.

It was a roasting afternoon at the Bangkok Glass Training Centre and just before the first water break the U’s had a big penalty shout as Zaide Took-Oxley looked to have got to a loose ball before the Exeter defender, but nothing was given.

Burton then had a good chance himself on the hour mark as Holton laid him off nicely as the ball bounced up to him. The U’s winger struck his effort hard, but Shanahan parried.

United found the deserved lead in the 35th minute when Monty Marriott’s goal kick found Burton on the right. He bought it down well and pulled it back to Lee, playing up from the U16s to open the scoring with a tidy first time finish.

Five minutes later and the U’s doubled their advantage, this time Holton, another U16, popped up at the back post to send the U’s into the break in control.

Took-Oxley and Tobias Brenan were full of energy in the middle of the park, but a change of shape from the visitors caused the U’s some trouble.

Exeter found a way back into the game quickly after half time; Maxwell lost the ball on the right and Cutler made him pay with a curled effort.

After that, Burton, who was on the bench for the Men’s First Team in midweek showed excellent skill, bringing the ball down on his chest, juggling it over his marker and slotting in Lee, but Shanahan came out and did just enough.

Exeter then levelled the game. A free kick was rattled off the cross bar and Dean tapped home from close range in the 69th minute.

Harrison Mole replaced Maxwell with just over ten of normal time to play, but neither side could find a winner despite Giulio Maronni being sent off for a second yellow late on, and it went straight to penalties.

It was a cruel way to lose for United, everybody except Brenan converted their efforts from the penalty spot and so Exeter won 5-4, and knocked the U’s out in the second round of the EFL Youth Alliance Cup.

LINEUP: Marriott, Maxwell (Mole 77’), Smith, Lacey, McIntyre, Brenan, Took-Oxley, Holton (Travin 90+3’), Burton, Lee, Griffiths

Latest news
Related news